We’re only 3 weeks out now from The Factory Youth Zone Cycle Sportive. You may be experiencing some nerves, excitement or even purchasing some faster wheels.
For the event, you want to try and eliminate as many surprises as possible. What can we do?
The goal between now and D-Day is to have ridden at least 60-90 minutes’ shy of what you think your total time will be.
How do you fuel for such an event? Our stomachs are quite sensitive to change and like our muscles, it’s something we need to train. Our bodies, depending on the intensity will require anywhere from 40 to 90 g of carbohydrates per hour. Yes, protein and fat can fuel us but we wouldn’t be riding very fast. So what does this look like?
- Almond / Apricot Yoghurt Bar
- Handful of jelly babies
- Bidons – 1 x electrolyte, 1 x water – 1 and 1 stops it being too sweet.
- Total – ~ 70 grams
You can even check on the back of your sports bars and gels and experiment with quantities and see what works best.
If you’ve never ridden in a bunch before a few points that may help:
- Start at the back as this allows you to observe how people ride
- No sudden movements. You want to be predictable.
- Hands covering the brakes just in case
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Give yourself plenty of space. For example if someone was to roll back when they get out of the saddle.
To summarise commit to getting some miles on the bike. Practice the nutrition as there is nothing worse than a crook stomach and in the bunch be aware of your fellow riders, we’re in this together.
Finally, if you feel like the cycling bug has bitten you or you want to go to the next level, please give us a shout as we can take the stress out of training and nutrition.